One of my favorite breakfasts!
Homemade french bread, soaked in fresh eggs from the Girls, topped with raspberries from the garden.
Urban Hen's Favorite French Bread:
(Otherwise known as "No-Knead French Bread from Southern Living Cookbook")
- 1/2 c warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar (I sometimes use honey)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 c boiling water
- 2 TB butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 c cold water
- 6 1/2-7 c all-purpose flour (I use a combination of white and wheat)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 TB milk
- Combine first 3 ingredients in 1-c liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine boiling water, butter, and salt in a large mixing bowl. (I use my stand mixer bowl.) Stir until butter melts. Add cold water; cool mixture to lukewarm.
- Stir years mixture into liquid mixture. Add 2 1/2 c flour. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until blended. (Switch to dough hook.) Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Let dough stand in bowl for 10 minutes. Stir gently for a few seconds; cover. Repeat gentle stirring every 10 minutes for the next 40 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface; divide into 3 equal parts (I always divide into only 2 equal parts.) Roll each portion into 13x8 rectangle. Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting with long side; pinch ends to seal. *
- Place each loaf, seam side, down, on a separate greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 40 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Make diagonal slits about 1/4" deep down the length of the loaves. Combine egg and milk. Brush gently over loaves
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
This is a great bread to freeze after baking, as well. Pre-slice the loaf and store it for last minute bruschetta!